Thursday, May 19, 2011

Drunk mice and fighting cabbies

  Last night I ended up getting a ride all around DC picking up things for my bedroom and bathroom.  I hit up the target in Columbia heights... YOU HAVE TO PAY for parking!!!!!  AT TARGET!?!?  DC also has a new law that every plastic bag is 5 cents, so you bring your own bag.  I'm actually a fan of this because it encourages people to bring their own bags, saves the environment, and saves Target money.  After Target I was shown where the grocery store near my apartment.  After being stocked up on food, toilet paper, kleenex, hair product, conditioner, I was STARVING.  I ate at a place in Dupont Circle area called Bistro Bistro.  YUM!  They have fantastic dinner rolls that they bring around and there is a pesto and a tomato/cucumber/olive oil mix that was amazing.  I ordered egg plant parmesan and it was SOOOOOO good.  Afterwards, the serve brought out a desert for free.  I highly recommend this place is anyone is in DC!

I went to bed with occasional sirens because I am a block away from the fire station.  Living in the Drake neighborhood has made it weird NOT to hear a siren during any given night.  So thanks Drake 'hood for preparing me for DC!

This morning I woke up bright and early to get ready for work.  This time I actually had soap and shampoo, which was fantastic.  I'm not sure if I mentioned this before, but my bathroom has astro turf/golfing green as the floor.  It is heinously ugly.  I placed a pretty white bathmat down to help cover some of it.  But, it seems that spiders enjoy the ugly green because I have killed two in the bathroom so far (hazard of living in a basement I guess).  After being ready, I began the few block journey to the metro.  I witnessed my first cab vs cab fight.  I don't know what happened, but one cabbie got out of his car and ran up to the cab in front of him and began to cuss him out.  It was INTENSE and involved many expletives.  Then I continued my way to the metro.

Getting to work was a piece of cake.  From the time I leave my house to the time I walk into the lab in Rockville, it takes me about 45 minutes (which in DC is not bad).  At work I am still trying to get all my training done so I can actually do stuff.  I am almost prepared to work with the mice, but I have to have one more orientation on Monday to do that.  So, I basically followed one of my coworkers around learning how to run the alcohol vapor chambers.  In layman's terms, I learned how to get mice drunk so we can replicate an alcoholic (binge and withdrawal).  It involved many steps and she had it all memorized, but I will definitely follow the protocol by reading it every time... step by step.

So now I am back at the house.  I met another roommate.  I'm pretty sure he at first thought I was someone breaking into the house.  Apparently he has not realized I have lived in the same house as him for the past 48 hours.  Which I'm going to take as a compliment that I am quiet!  Not sure if I'm doing anything eventful the rest of the day... if so, I'll post about it tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment